Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
February 10, 2019
Please submit your resume and cover letter as a single attachment, saved as your name, to ac.ma1550912250fxo@t1550912250nemyo1550912250lpme1550912250, quoting competition number EA0119 in the subject line of the email.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Executive Assistant provides policy and administrative support to the Executive Director, to the Board of Directors and to the management team of Oxfam Canada. S/he is required to show initiative and work independently to facilitate effective leadership, governance and management, supporting communications with internal and external stakeholders, tracking performance against operational and strategic plans and ensuring the smooth functioning of the Executive Director’s Office.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
1. Provides support to the Executive Director and management team:
- Ensures the smooth administrative functioning of the Executive Director’s Office including maintaining records; responding to inquiries; preparing correspondence, reports, minutes and invoices; and managing databases and distribution lists;
- Keeps the Executive Director’s schedule, coordinating travel and public engagements, ensuring proper documents, preparation and logistics support;
- Tracks organizational compliance with various codes and standards and assists in the timely preparation of accountability reports;
- Facilitates the efficiency and effectiveness of management team meetings by preparing agendas and minutes, maintaining records and monitoring follow up;
- Assists where appropriate in the coordination, integration and implementation of decisions of the management team;
- Undertakes research for the Executive Director and the management team as required, analyzing and synthesizing information and where appropriate, proposing processes and solutions and prepare summaries of materials from files;
- Contributes to the updating of the organizational risk register;
- Maintains corporate records (e.g., Minutes, By-Law, correspondence) for the Executive Director’s Office and participates in the organization and management of corporate information for Oxfam Canada;
- Provides ongoing support, research and documentation for the Executive Director’s involvement in committees and working groups.
2. Provides support to the Board, its Committees and other governance functions of the organization:
- Organizes meetings of the Board and its Committees; makes travel plans; provides logistical support; assists in the preparation of agendas; ensures timely production and distribution of supporting documents; takes, transcribes and distributes minutes;
- Works with the Executive Director and the Secretary of the Board to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and organizational standards;
- Maintains a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of every meeting of the Board and its various committees; tracks decisions and documents progress;
- Assists as appropriate in researching and drafting Oxfam policies and maintains the policy file;
- Undertakes research and preliminary work on special projects as assigned by the Executive Director or the Board.
3. Coordinates administrative relations and communications for the Executive Director’s Office and the Board:
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting to government and other bodies in compliance with Oxfam Canada’s requirements for corporate disclosure;
- Maintains relations between Oxfam and key external interlocutors (government departments, donors and members, Parliamentary offices, civil society organizations, Oxfam International);
- Coordinates and supports the participation of Oxfam staff and Board members in response to invitations received by the Executive Director;
- Ensures that information relating to the Executive Director’s Office, the Board and its Committees, and Oxfam International is complete, accurate and available for Oxfam Canada’s website and publications;
- Collects, collates and provides information in response to requests from Oxfam International.
4. Oversees Membership:
- Maintains membership database; approving new memberships, and up-to-date contact information;
- Maintains effective communication with members;
- Responds to queries, monitoring the membership mailbox;
- Ensures membership information is up-to-date on website;
- Ensures appropriate and timely notices for Special and Annual General Meetings and organizes voting where necessary.
5. Performs other related duties as required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- The knowledge, skills and judgment required for this position would normally be acquired through completion of a University degree and at least five (5) years of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work independently within defined guidelines;
- Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills; displays good judgment and awareness of the sensitive nature of confidential material; exercises tact and discretion; and meets deadlines;
- Excellent oral and English writing skills are essential; fluency in French and in Spanish would be a strong asset;
- Strong minute taking-skills and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze and synthesize a large volume of information;
- Excellent knowledge of administrative practices and procedures including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, and other computer software;
- Understanding of Oxfam’s work and knowledge of governance, management and staff roles an asset;
- Experience working in an International Development environment is an asset;
- Understanding and commitment to global justice, social change, and gender equality are essential;
- Ability to work in a team and under pressure, including willingness and ability to sometimes work irregular hours to meet deadlines and to accommodate Board and Committee meeting schedules required.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit https://oxfamcanada.wpengine.com/who-we-are/our-people/careers/. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.